Art Rocks - Feedback



Last week I wanted to find out more about Art on Rocks and how artists, like me, find this kind of art relaxing, inspiring or even just enjoyable. Now its time for the feedback.

As I said in my previous blog “Art Rocks” for research, is that I’ve seen this style of art on my Facebook timeline so often and the pieces people produce are so memorizing and beautiful. Pieces ranging from insects, portraits, buildings and animals and my, do some of them take my breath away. I don’t particularly like painting but seeing these pieces has made my fingers itch.

I will definitely in the follow weeks prepare for my first piece and share it with my fellow artists. My blog has definitely gotten some feedback from the questionnaire I posted and I’m pretty impressed by some of the answers not to mention some of the examples of work I’ve received. Flipping brilliant!

So what have these Rock Artists been saying in their questionnaires? Will they be able to convince you to maybe start engaging in this lovely style and what do they use that a beginner artist like myself can start off with?

What paint do you normally use?

For me the paint is one of the important things that you would need to know as paint could react differently to the surface it’s used on. Like for instance when I did the "Cell Pouring", I noticed the paint I did on the tile took a long while to dry and the paint just kept separating on the surface and it kindof started to looks ugly. On the other hand the ones I did on the wood canvases looked much better and dried faster.

So most of you guys said that you either use Acrylic, Posca Pens or even high-gloss spray. I could see using Acrylic would be more popular because it dries faster but to be honest I’ve never heard of Posca Pens. I researched them a bit and they even make some beautiful results. Posca Pens are acrylic paint based marker pens which come in all different colors and thickness for making the most detailed pieces.

Are there any other things I would need additionally to just a rock and paint (obviously brushes and water too) and why?

Some additional things that were mentioned were paper plates for mixing all your colors, “A whole lot of paper towels to clean yourself and your brushes” like Khristine said. This is understandable. Especially if you are making such complex pieces.

Mollie said that you should belong to a rock group and I totally agree. Her reason is was: “it's nice to get other media ideas from them.” A good inspiration tip when you are a beginner and you’re still trying to find your own unique style. Like in my first blog for “10 Tips for Finding Inspiration”.

 What type of rocks do you prefer?

The star of this blog, the rocks. When I first got to know this type of art I thought you would only paint on flat rocks but Diane also said: “I like to paint on smooth organically shaped, not flat rocks.  My animals come from the shapes suggested by the rocks themselves.  I don’t usually paint large rocks; my animals are palm sized, up to 4-6 inches at the most.” But the one distinctive characteristic everyone said they preferred for a rock was that it should be smooth. That is totally understandable and I would definitely suggest for beginners to use smooth rocks.

I could just image the mission it might be if the rock isn’t smooth, maybe using a filler to patch it up might be needed.

Do you have to prepare the rocks before painting on it?

Just like some canvases I presume you would need to prepare the rock before you start painting. A wash is definitely need like most of you said. Mollie said: “Some of them I do, I bought some rocks that wound up being pitted after I cleaned them. I'll have to use gesso on them. Some of them I have to hammer and sand off concrete.

Khristine said that she washes them in the dishwasher and then applies some patio paint.
I wouldn’t want to imagine what could happens if you don’t give them a bit of a clean and your paint start flaking or pealing. How upset I’ll be if that happens with a piece that took hours and has lots of detail

Do you use something to seal the art piece on the rock afterwards?

When you think of rocks you think if the garden where it’s exposed to all the earthly elements. With some of your answers in the next question I would think you would need something to protect your masterpiece from getting damaged.

Roberta said she sprays a matte finish on her rocks. Sheryl says she sprays a sealant, gloss or matt for the animals she paints. Mollie said she uses: “high-gloss sealers from Krylon, Rustoleum or Minwax” because she doesn’t want to sealant to yellow over-time. She says Modpodge might work: “but it doesn't work on some media without smearing. It also gets tacky sometimes.

What do you do with your rocks afterwards?
Some of these answers a like a lot.

Chris says he used them in the garden, as paperweights and even as doorstops.

Roberta said: “I hide them in places like hospitals, cancer centers and on the playground for kids.”

Diane says she shows them on her Facebook Page and Instagram.

Sheryl says she gave them away at first as acts of kindness but this year for the first time she has them in shops.

Mollie says she sells them for fundraising or gives them away.

Khristine says she keeps them, hides them and she want to try and sell them as well.

Margaret says she that she hides most of them around her town and them some she gives away to family and friends.

See why I like their answers. Personally I thought it was so nice hearing they hide it for people to find, sharing the happiness, this rock art gives them, with others who might need it more. I really think that this is such a beautiful gesture when trying to share your joy with others in a different way. Not because they give it way for free but because it’s like a little surprise that no one expects that brightens up their day no matter what situation they find themselves in.

Do you give them as gifts or keep them for yourself?

Chris and Roberta gives them as gifts.

Diane says: “I sometimes give them as gifts but only if I know that the person truly wants one, and I also keep a very few of my favorite pieces.

Sheryl says: “I give to people. Especially my Bee Kind Rocks. Every state and 48 countries. I did that before it became popular.”  That’s awesome!

Mollie and Khristine gives them as gifts and keep some for themselves.

Margaret says she gives them away and keeps her favorites before letting them go. She even has a pile of her art rocks which she hides away.

Would you recommend this style to other artists?

Diane says: “I would say to other artists to paint what they most want to paint because it is about the joy and satisfaction of making your own work.  I paint realistically and do a lot of research before I start an animal so that I know how it looks from all angles.  If an artist wants to make this kind of rock then they should definitely try it.  It takes some practice.

Margaret said: “For me it is enjoyable. It uses my creativity but I need to figure out what I am going to do with it afterwards. I only have so many walls.

In my opinion I would definitely recommend this kind of art style to any artist who is in need of inspiration or just looking to do something different. Enjoying nature in its purist form to painting all your memories and art on them. Decorating your life with a little bit of happiness from your garden or even if it’s imported from a distant place. Splashing all your talent out on them and sharing it with the world even if you end up making a living out of it.

Share with your friend and family to encourage them to start enjoying the little things nature gives you and maybe use to live out your talent on. Like Khristine says: “It’s fun and relaxing.

062 527 8143 | ane@artmaven.co.za


Diane Davis







Follow Diane on her Facebook page and keep up to date with all her beautiful pieces.


Rick McClelland







Sheryl Polley












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art vs Graphic Design